Monday, October 8, 2012

Jericho, Seder, Shephelah, Talent Show, and City of David!

Wow...it's been so long since I've written. I keep thinking life can't get any busier, and then...it does! And the longer I'm here, the faster time flies. It's a bittersweet feeling. I LOVE it here and don't want to ever leave but...the sooner we go home, the sooner I get to marry Dallin. So it's a win-win situation! :) 
There are a TON of things I want to write about, so I'll be brief (well...try to be)....

Sunday, September 23rd: 
Normally we celebrate the Sabbath on Saturdays here (instead of Sunday) but because of the traveling from Turkey, we had a special sacrament meeting for the students on Sunday. Two members of the Quorums of the 70’s (Bruce Carlson, Bruce Porter, and their wives) spoke to us. It was a powerful meeting. Here's a quick summary of a few of the things that touched me most in the meeting: 
-If you want to see the Lord's sense of humor, tell him your plans...:)
-Life requires sacrifice. Life requires change. Always keep your honor and your integrity. 
-Don't ask "why" questions. The "why" will come later...often at the most sublime moments of your life. (I can attest to this!!!)
-The Jerusalem Center allows us to catch a glimpse of Zion. How can I apply this when I go home, so that I can create Zion in Provo, in my home, in my life, etc.?
-The Lord WILL guide our significant decisions
-When it comes to prayer, forget the "rules" of prayer...pray sincerely, with an open heart, and speak to Heavenly Father as a child would...then listen! 
-When the answer is definite, there is a feeling of "rightness". Otherwise you will feel unsettled or hesitant. Feelings will come that are beyond me, and they will speak to my heart. Then I know it's not from me...it's from the Lord. Anyways, I LOVE attending church here at the JC...there's a special spirit here (even when there aren't general authorities visiting). I love being uplifted and inspired, surrounded by so many people I love who are striving for the same things I am. In an environment where we have the same standards and beliefs and can help each other with our goals and testimonies. It's such a blessing! 

Alex is one of Dallin and I's close friends here. I LOVE the sunsets here at the JC, 
and I love when the guys are wearing their church clothes. So I requested a picture with him. :) 


Monday, September 24th:
So this Monday we went on a field trip to Jericho. It was a little rough...we were all SO exhausted still from Turkey. But it was still really neat. My favorite part was walking along "the road to Jericho" and talking/thinking about the Good Samaritan. It was soo hot and dusty out there, in the middle of nowhere. I can't imagine how hard it would be to be stranded on the side of the road out there. Made me re-commit to never pass by someone in need. 

 My creative classmates spelling out "Jericho" with their shadows. :) 
By the way...that's the oldest wall/tower...EVER...down there. No big deal.

 Dallin playing the trumpet around the walls of Jericho :) 

Me, on the "road to Jericho"...


Friday, September 28th: 
Tonight we had a Seder dinner, hosted by our Israel teacher, Ophir. Even though it's the wrong time of the year to celebrate Passover, it was neat that we got to experience a true Seder dinner. I really do enjoy learning more about other religions here, and coming to appreciate their beliefs and practices more and more. And the food was delicious...we have wonderful cooks here at the JC! 

 Jay, Katie and Brandon, who I ate with :)

 Some other friends during the Seder dinner :)

 Part of our delicious dessert! Chocolate covered bananas 
and amazing ice cream!

Me with our wonderful Israel teacher Ophir, with his BEAUTIFUL daughter! 
It was also so neat to hear her speak Hebrew!


Saturday, September 29th: 
I LOVE Sabbath's here...today I went to the Garden Tomb with a few of my friends. It was neat to go while it was less crowded, and have some time to sit, ponder, and write in my journal about my testimony of Christ, and my appreciation for His life and His Atonement. As fun and as academic as this semester is...I often try to remind myself that the main reason I came is to have special spiritual experiences. It's a constant struggle to not get too busy to enjoy the specialness of this place and to pass up sacred opportunities to feel the Spirit. So I'm really glad I went to the Tomb today - to regain perspective and to re-prioritize my life. I love the Savior, and I'm so grateful for His role in my life.

 Standing outside the garden tomb. "He is not here, He is risen!"

My gorgeous friends and I, at the tomb. :)


Monday, October 1st:
Today was our Shephelah Field Trip. The highlights of this field trip were: acting out the Samson and Delilah story (Dallin was Samson, I was Delilah...haha), and acting out the David and Goliath story (as well as getting to practicing slinging our own stones in the exact field that David would have taken down Goliath!) I say it every time, but it's so neat to be in the same places that these Bible stories, which I have heard/read all my life, actually occurred!

 Ellen and I, in an ancient tomb.

 In the valley of Elah, slinging a stone just as David did. 
So cool! I wasn't half bad either :)

Some really neat "Bell Caves" we got to explore and sing in...so fun!


Thursday, October 4th:
Today most of us here at the JC watched the Presidential Debate! I usually don't get much into politics, but I actually really enjoyed watching it and found it very interesting. That's all I'll say about it...I don't want to get anyone riled up. :) Tonight we had a talent show here at the JC! It was our "informal" one (we'll have a formal one later in the semester) and...it was AWESOME! We had so many acts, and I loved EVERY single one. Probably because we have the most fun, most hilarious, most talented people here this semester! From story-telling, to a cheer squad, to narrating Star Wars, to our professor's family skit, to "All of Me" (by Jon Schmidt) on the piano while blindfolded, to...country swing dancing! Yep, Dallin and I danced to "Why Don't We Just Dance" by Josh Turner. We messed up a couple of times, but it was a blast and the audience loved it. :) 

 This is one of my favorite pictures :) But then again I have LOTS of favorites. 
Pretty much any picture with Dallin is my favorite though...

 I could dance with him all day, every day. I love it!


 :)

 You should have seen me the first time I tried this...ha...ha...

 So fun :) 

Possibly my favorite :) I love him so much!

Friday, October 5th:
Today we had our Palestine midterm, and with everything else going on with school this week, we were all VERY stressed. Our Old Testament teacher was kind enough to for-go our quiz for the day, and to make things even better, his sweet daughters brought us warm, homemade chocolate chip cookies! It made our day! It really is so fun having little kids here at the center, running around and making things here more exciting.

 Such a cute little girl. This is our ANE professor's daughter,
Abby...she melts my heart.

My Old Testament professor Bro. Judd and his wonderful family! 
They are the ones who made us cookies. :) Love them!


Sunday, Oct. 7th:
Today was our City of David Field Trip! My favorite part (sorry I'm not writing more details...I just HAVE to catch up!) was going through Hezekiah's Tunnel...sooo neat! Here are some pictures...enjoy!

 That's right...watching a 3D movie in Jerusalem? Check. 
Just won't mention the fact that it was about archaeology...haha

 Have I mentioned yet how in love I am? :)

 Hollie and I heading down into the tunnel! 

 This pic is classic. I love Skylor's face behind Ellen and I.

 The Pool of Siloam, where Christ told the blind man to wash his eyes (and be healed).

Still can't believe how blessed I am. To be visiting these amazing sites... 
with my eternal companion. :) Sooo happy!!!!

This weekend was conference, and I have lots to say about that :) And today (Monday) I went to the Dome of the Rock finally, so I'll make some more posts soon, but I'm going to get this long catchup one posted as soon as I upload the pics. Sorry again for taking so long! I'll try to be better! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment