Friday, August 31, 2012

First tour, ice cream, beastly classes, getting in trouble, sports, and pita bread! :)


Thursday, August 30th, 2012

It’s amazing how much more I love this place and this experience, even after just one day! This morning we were able to go in small groups around the city for a few hours (walked 4.5 miles!) It was so neat to finally WALK the streets of Jerusalem. In some ways it was what I expected, in other ways...it wasn’t. It’s hard to explain, but I loved taking it in. It also made me realize how much I DON’T know, and want to learn! I’m so excited for my classes, and to learn more about the religious and secular history here. There is SO much to see and do and learn. I was definitely overwhelmed since it was all new to me, but at the same time, I felt very comfortable. I feel comfortable, safe, and peaceful here. In the JC (Jerusalem Center), in the city, with the faculty, with the other students. It’s crazy, but I already feel “at home” in a sense. I can’t imagine what it will feel like in December. 

It’s definitely a new experience having multiple distinct cultures and religions (Muslim, Jewish, Christian, etc) all immersed in one location. It’s neat though...even with their differences they have so much respect for this city. It’s neat to be a part of that. One of my favorite parts of the day today was when we briefly went inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. It’s a beautiful building and I can’t wait to learn more about it and go spend some more time there, but as we walked in, we passed the Stone of Anointing (where they believe Christ’s body was laid to be anointed). People surrounded the stone, laying their hands on it, praying, kissing the stone, etc. It was really touching to see the love and respect they have for the Savior. They have a personal relationship with Him, just like I do...even if we are of different religious backgrounds. 

Another highlight of the day? I had my first experience with Jerusalem ice cream. :) And it didn’t disappoint! It was delicious. :) For those of you who know me, I’m sure you’re shaking your heads, but hey, I was having withdrawals. 

We begin classes in the center tomorrow morning. We have had SO much reading assigned, so we were all scrambling to do it today. This semester’s definitely going to keep me on my toes and require a lot of work, but I’m looking forward to it. It was even fun to study today...this building is incredible! It’s so laid back and there are a ton of places to hang out/study with people. I love it. Oh....another highlight (well...kinda) of the day. There’s a ping pong table here in the center! Tom (a guy who actually served in the same mission as my brother) challenged me to a match, which led to another...and another...and another. We ended up playing 5 games, and I never beat him but I came SO close! We were both getting pretty intense and competitive....it was so fun though! He said he’s never been beat by a girl, but I’m determined to change that. We’ll re-match soon, no doubts. 

Everyone here at the center (the security guards, the professors and their families, the other faculty, the students, etc) are all so friendly and fun. I’m already having a blast and making great friendships, and we still hardly know each other. It’s just going to keep getting better and better!


Friday, August 31st, 2012

Well, today we started classes, bright and early. We had two classes back to back, from 8-12 (Old Testament and Ancient Near Eastern Studies). OT was great...I’m going to love that class, and learn so much! Not going to lie, it’s kinda nice not having access to facebook, or texting or anything like that...if I get bored in class, I have to force myself to get un-bored, and get something out of it, rather than resorting to distractions. :) ANE...yikes. The teacher knows EVERYTHING...I’m sure of it. I was blown away with how smart he is. And I felt really dumb! I don’t know anything! So I’m a little stressed, but it’ll be good to push myself, and again...I’m going to learn a ton! 

My worst moment of the day...I walked in 1/2 hour late (with another student) to a really important meeting (we totally spaced it!) and the director of the JC kinda called us out. He said “For those of you who came in late, that’s unacceptable...” Needless to say, we felt awful, and it’ll never happen again! I just have to look at the schedule more often. :/

This afternoon I took a wonderful nap (although, the jet lag has never really hit me like it did for other students, so I’ve been lucky!) and almost missed dinner...which would have been really bad because tomorrow is Fast Sabbath! (On Saturday...weird I know)

I did some studying, played some chess (I’m trying to re-learn), some ping-pong, and then tonight a ton of us played volleyball for hours! It was soo fun! I’m definitely better than I used to be, and I love playing with people that are really good because it helps me improve. The other students here are so great...we have so much fun! 

I’ve only taken a few pictures so far, but Sunday is our free day (I’ll go into the city again) and Monday we have an all-day field trip, so after this weekend I’ll start uploading pictures! Sorry if I’m writing too often, or too much....but I’m going to print my blog at the end of this and make a journal out of it, so I can remember everything I did! Don’t feel obligated to read everything...I know it’s a lot. :) That’s for you David. ;) 

P.S. I had my first experience with pita bread, nutella, and peanut butter. Probably a mistake...I have a feeling it will be a regular part of my diet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment