Saturday, December 1, 2012

Galilee Days 2 and 3


On Tuesday we had three hours of New Testament (while Bro. Judd’s class went on a field trip) and then some free time on the beach. It was sooo nice to be able to relax on the hammocks with Dallin, in the sun, with the Sea of Galilee in our view. We honestly felt like we were in paradise. That night we had a bonfire with everyone, which was a lot of fun as well. 

These are the apartments we stayed in, right on the shore :)

Wading and skipping rocks in the Sea of Galilee. 

 So someone decided to use the slack line in the water to try 
and make it look like we were "walking on water". 
Pretty much an epic fail, but it was fun to watch people attempt!

 Lindsey and I...she's such a sweetheart!

 So many cool shells along the shore! Couldn't resist the classic pic :) 

 Beautiful right? And this is only a pic. It was literally breath-taking.

I love that Heavenly Father gives us sunsets to enjoy...


On Wednesday we switched and did the field trip while the Judd class had New Testament class and free time . This field trip was probably my favorite. 

First we took a boat ride across the Sea of Galilee. When we were in the middle of the lake (yes, it’s actually a lake, not a sea) the captain stopped the boat and let us have a peaceful devotional. It was really incredible. The story about Peter walking on water to Christ (found in Matathew 14) has become one of the most meaningful and special stories in the scriptures to me. Every time I study this story, I feel the spirit and learn more about my Savior and about myself. We sang “Master the Tempest is Raging” and “Be Still my Soul”. It was a powerful devotional and was really neat to the sing those songs as well. I’ll always cherish that moment in the middle of the Sea of Galilee, learning and singing about my Savior, and applying principles from the scriptures into my life. 






When we reached the other side, we went into a museum and saw the Ginosar Boat. This boat is incredible. In 1986 this ancient boat was discovered, and it has been dated back to between 100 BC and AD 70. The fact that it was so well preserved (and then transported and further preserved) and is still in one piece is absolutely amazing. It was neat to see an actual boat from the time of Christ.






Next was the Mount of Beatitudes. One of my favorite places in Galilee, easily. This is where the famous Sermon on the Mount was delivered by Christ to His disciples. On the top of this mountain a beautiful Roman Catholic church was built to honor this site. The church was beautiful, the flowers and the scenery were beautiful, and the personal spirit we were each able to feel was beautiful. We had a devotional and sang hymns, and then we got almost a full hour of personal time to study the sermon on the mount, to pray, and to ponder. I read from “Jesus the Christ” (my dad’s mission copy, which was really neat), I read the Sermon on the Mount, I read through my patriarchal blessing, and I wrote in my journal. It was wonderful to have the opportunity to take some time in such a beautiful and special place to do some “soul searching” and really ponder the things that I can improve in my life to become more like Christ, and to draw closer to Him. 




The Church of the Beatitudes

 Dal didn't know I took this pic of him. 
But it was neat to watch him study and ponder...I love him so much.

Gives you a glimpse of how beautiful this site was. 
Such a wonderful place.



After the Mt. of Beatitudes we went to the churches in Tabgha. One commemorates the miracle of the multiplication of the loaves and fishes.

Some pretty cool fish inside...

The second church honors the Savior’s command for Peter to “feed my sheep” (John 21:16). It was neat to have a devotional near the second church about if Christ were to ask us “Lovest thou me more than ____”? It was good to look inside myself and think about whether or not I would be willing to give up everything I have and love to follow Christ and do as He asks. It’s definitely a work in progress, but as long as I follow President Hinckley’s counsel to “try a little harder to be a little better”, I know that’s enough.

Church of St. Peter's Primacy.

Wading again in the Sea of Galilee...
I wanted to take every opportunity I could! 
It was neat to think that this is where Christ asked Peter "Lovest thou me?" 
It was neat to reflect on how I would respond if Christ were to ask 
ME this question three times, and if I would follow Him as faithfully as Peter did.


The last stop of the day was Capernaum. This is the home of Peter, Andrew, and possibly Matthew. It is also the town that Christ refers to as “His own city” in Matthew 9:1. Many miracles were performed in or around Capernaum. My favorite story that we talked about from the scriptures, was that of Jarius, a ruler of the synagogue who came to Christ, asking Him to heal his daughter. It’s an incredibly beautiful story, one I’ve come to love deeply here. If you haven’t read it recently...go study it. Mark 5:22-43. It’s incredible. It was also on the way to heal Jarius’ daughter that Christ’s hem was touched by the woman with the issue of blood (one of my mom and I’s favorite stories). These events took place in or just outside of Capernaum. We also go to enjoy an incredible sunset while we were here, before we headed home. After we got home, two of my close friends here (Erin and Mikele) opened their mission calls on the beach...they are going to New York and Chile! So excited for them, they’ll be incredible missionaries. 

Inside the synagogue at Capernaum. We've been to so many churches 
and synagogues this semester, but it's amazing how you can have 
a neat experience in each one if you choose to.

 One of many gorgeous Galilean sunsets...

Warning: I have LOTS of these pictures.


Pretty good day overall, don’t you think? 

1 comment:

  1. Seriously so amazing! I can't tell you enough how much I love reading about all you guys are doing! It sounds so incredible to be at these places where Christ was. Jeez. It looks gorgeous too. I got your invite and it is so cute!

    ReplyDelete