Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Galilee Days 4 and 5


Thursday was another day of class and free time (while Judd’s class went on a field trip) and then we swapped places again on Friday. Thursday night we got to go to a restaurant for dinner and then got to walk around the city (Tiberias) a little bit which was really fun. The best part? Getting a McDonald’s McFlurry. I forgot how good those are! :) It was fun to have a night out on the town, even if it was only for an hour or so. 

When we got back from Tiberias we watched the COOLEST lightning storm - I've never seen anything like it in my life. It was INCREDIBLE! We were all out on the hammocks watching it. We didn't have our cameras with us, but pictures wouldn't have done it justice anyways. 

Friday morning (for our field trip)...it rained. A lot. For those who don’t know me well, I hate the cold. I’m always cold, and “cold” to me is anything below 70 degrees. I love the rain if it’s something I can enjoy and play around in, and then come inside and get warm. But when its raining and you’re slopping through the mud and then have several more hours outside, in the cold, in your wet clothes...I’m not as much of a fan. 

So Gamla was our first stop, and this is where it rained quite a bit. We all got drenched and really dirty. Gamla was one of the last Galilean cities the Romans destroyed during the First Jewish Revolt. Many of the Jews here didn’t want to surrender, and instead jumped off the cliffs to their death. One theory is also that since Gamla can be seen from the Mount of Beatitudes (and is a large hill), it could have been the city that the Savior was referring to when He said “A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.” (Matt. 5:14). There’s also a black basalt synagogue here (that we were able to go to) that the Savior very possibly taught in. Really neat to think about.

 Yep, we got pretty soaked!


After Gamla was Hippos, another city of the Decapolis. It was pretty cool: it had lots of neat mosaics still on the ground, a fun tunnel to explore, and a really neat view. Oh and signs warning us about danger of nearby mines...sweet huh? But honestly I was kinda miserable the whole time walking around because I had my wet jacket on and it was really windy. :/ So I was freezing. 

 It's not PDA...it's him keeping me warm. :) 
I'm really grateful that he is a walking heater, all the time!

 Don't worry, I stayed on the path :) 

A bit dramatic ;) 


Kursi was the the third stop that morning, and this is where the miracle of the swine might have taken place, because it is the only place where the Golan Heights slope steeply and directly down to the sea. 

Sorry I don’t have very many pictures from this day. My camera was dead, and Dal left his on the bus most of the time because it was so wet out. 

There was an optional hike this afternoon that Dal and I had signed up to do, but I was so muddy and wet and cold that all I wanted to do was take a nice long hot shower and then be lazy in my warm sweats, inside! So that’s what we did. Just hung out, did homework, etc. It was really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment