Saturday, September 8, 2012

Is this real life? :)


Wow...life is incredible! I absolutely cannot believe I've only been here a week and a half...it feels like it's been months! I love the Holy Land (the views, the culture, the special spirit here...all of it) and I feel so close to all of the other students here. I can't imagine what it will be like in three and a half more months...I know I'm not going to want to live. It makes me sad just thinking about it. 

I don't have tons of time, but I want to catch up all up at least a little bit before another crazy fun-filled weekend (I'll post again in a few days once things hopefully calm down). This week was just really busy with classes, but I was able to go out into the city a little bit which was wonderful. I finally spent a little bit of money! My favorite purchase so far is a leather Jerusalem scripture case. There's one merchant here who in particular loves us "Mormons" and he sells BYU JC stuff, scripture cases, even CTR rings. He was so friendly and so kind. Pretty much everyone in this city is that way. They always ask "You Mormon?" when they see us (must be obvious!) and then when we say yes, they say "Ah, my neighbor!" and smile. They are wonderful people. 

Last night (Friday night) we went as a huge group to the Western Wall to watch the Jews bring in their Sabbath. It was an incredible experience - I absolutely loved it. It was full of people praying, singing hymns, dancing...touching the wall. There was a really incredible unity and devotion that you could feel. I'm constantly amazed by the respect and devotion these people have for their God (who is also our God). It makes me want to be better, and to show my devotion and my love and gratitude towards my Heavenly Father more.

Today was District Conference (kinda like Stake Conference but it's a little different here). It was really wonderful! A few things that I loved the most. 
#1) There are a lot of Russian people in our branch, as well as people who speak Ukrainian, Spanish, etc. And several of the guys here in our group served their missions speaking those languages. So they were able to be translators for several of the members during the meetings. It was sooo neat to watch. For example, my friend Jay served in Russia, so he was helping a few ladies from Russia with the translating. He came to Relief Society and even translated for one of them who gave a talk. It was really really amazing the spirit that was there, and you could tell how grateful the people were for these willing, kind, incredible young men who wanted them to be able to understand what was being said. (The guys of the church are incredible! I love, appreciate, and look up to each and every one of the 23 here this semester). 
#2) Anyways, one of the things that blew me away...one of the speakers was talking about how these Russian women would drive an hour and a half to church each week, for years...to attend 3 hours of meetings that they couldn't understand a word of (they normally didn't have any way to translate). That was incredible to me...such an example of obedience and keeping the commandments, even when it's difficult. Put things in perspective for me for sure. 
#3) Another story that was amazing to me. The District Relief Society President spoke and she talked about how she was born in the Bethlehem area, but didn't join the church until she was over in the states, at BYU actually. She said something like "I had to go halfway around the world to come to know Christ." I thought that was so ironic, yet so amazing. She was born where Christ was born, but didn't come to know of the truth until she was in Provo, Utah. Just goes to show that its not the PLACE you're in that is important, but the relationship you have with our Savior. It gave me hope for when I have to leave at the end of this semester. I don't have to be in the Old City to feel close to my Savior and to know that He lives. 
#4) We sang as the closing hymn "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" - looking out over the city. This is one of my favorite hymns, and it touched me more than usual today. I felt so close to my Savior and felt so much peace and joy. Some of the lines that really struck me...
"He lives to hear my soul's complaint...He lives to plead for me above...He lives to calm my troubled heart...He lives to guide me with his eye...." I have gained such a strong testimony of my Savior's love for me, and His hand in my life (when I finally humble myself and turn my life over to Him and allow His will to happen)...I just felt really humbled and grateful today again. That seems to be happening a lot lately. It's a wonderful feeling.

After church, we went to the Garden Tomb as a huge group for my first time. It was...incredible. (I know I use that word a lot...but it's the only way I can try to describe it) There were a lot of different groups there, and everyone kinda split up and sang hymns in different areas. We sang hymns and had a girl playing the violin...it was soo powerful and I felt the spirit so strongly. It's definitely a place I want to go back to, many times this semester. Even if it wasn't the "exact" site...it doesn't really matter. It's the person we worship and love and testify of...not the place. Gordon B. Hinckley has said that if it wasn't that exact place, it was nearby. So it's good enough for me. :) 
Another neat thing - during the tour the volunteer giving us the tour was explaining where Christ was "probably crucified"...it's now a bus stop. She made a really good point though...she said, "When Christ lived here on earth, it wasn't a "holy" place...it was real life, real people." I hadn't really thought about that. It's the "Holy City" but in reality, Christ really was just living in a normal place, with normal people. I don't know why that was such an "aha" moment for me, but it really touched me. Kinda gave me a feeling of hope and power that I can make average, normal places special and "holy" in a sense by being Christ-like. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it was neat for me. 

There's probably so much more I could say (and want to) but I need to get some other things done, and get ready for a crazy weekend. Another update will come soon! Hope you're all doing well...just remember, stay close to Christ and Heavenly Father, serve others, and be happy!!! Life is GOOD! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment