Monday, September 3, 2012

Pool of Bethesda, Western Wall, Bethlehem...just to name a few :)


Sunday, September 2nd, 2012

Okay, first off I have to add some things from last night. We ended up kinda having “games night” last night with everyone, and it was sooo fun! We played “Honey if you love me”, and I just have to say...most hilarious round ever. Wow did we have some awkwardness...sooo funny though. And of course no one was able to break me. :) David, our reign of un-beatableness continues. Then we played Sardines. Again...sooo fun. Good times, good times. Several of us were hiding in a storage closet, and we had to get real close. So basically it was a great bonding night haha. If we had any personal bubbles before tonight, they are now gone. We also played Apples to Apples, Bang, Never Have I Ever, etc. Just an overall fun night. 

Oh I also spent quite a bit of time playing the piano which I really enjoyed. :)

Anyways, as far as today goes....since Saturday is the Sabbath here, Sunday is a free day! It was our first FULL day with no plans, so as soon as we finished breakfast (around 8:00) a group of us took off to explore the city! Such a fun day.

First we went to Aladdin (the money changer) and I exchanged money for the first time. I’m so proud of myself, I haven’t really spent any money yet! Then we went to the Pool of Bethesda. Even just typing that now, I can’t believe I’ve been going to these places that I’ve read about and heard about my whole life. It was really, really neat. I loved visiting this site. I’m so glad we have 4 months to see everything...we weren’t rushed at all, so we took our time walking around, taking pictures, re-reading the story, etc. If that was the only thing we did all day, I would have been happy. But we walked around the Old City some more, just stopping at random places along the way. We also went back to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher to see more of it. A beautiful building, for sure. So different than what I’m used to, but really neat. 
We also visited the Western Wall for the first time. This is such a special place to many people, and it was so special to be there. The deep love and devotion these people have for their religion is incredibly touching. Many were leaning on the wall, kissing the wall, praying and crying as they sincerely prayed. I wrote my own prayer and put it on the wall. I felt so humbled to be there, and to be even a small part of something so amazing. It’s definitely a place I’ll be going back to and visiting again.

Last night was really laid-back and fun. Dallin and I did some swing dancing (he’s really good at all the lifts), which was a blast. Then a group of us played werewolves, then some of us watched Finding Nemo (while doing homework...ish....haha). I seriously feel like I’m living in a clubhouse with so many fun people. It’s like a constant sleepover that never ends. :)


Monday, September 3rd, 2012

Such a great day! Today was our first field trip, and we went to several different sites that overlook the city of Jerusalem. First we went to the Seven Arches Hotel Overlook, which gave us a good view of the geography of Jerusalem that we are trying to learn. It really helped me to orient which direction things are in relation to each other. This city is incredible, and fascinating to learn about - I love it! One thing Bro. Judd told us that I thought was really neat was about some of the steps south of the al-Aqso Mosque which date back to the time of Christ. These steps are one of the few places we can be sure Jesus actually walked, and Neil Armstrong visited that specific place for that reason. He said that it meant more to step there (where Jesus walked) than to step on the moon. That was just a really neat story that I enjoyed. 

Next we went to August Victoria (the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension). This was one of my favorites. We sat on top of the Mt. of Olives and sang a hymn. We obviously don’t know exactly where on the Mt. of Olives Christ ascended into heaven, but we must have been very near to the spot, if not in the same spot. Inside the church was gorgeous! Probably one of the most beautiful churches I’ve been inside. I’ll post TONS of pictures soon...I promise!!!! We also sang a few hymns inside this church, and the acoustics were amazing. It was really really powerful. We can’t proselyte here in Israel, but we can sometimes sing hymns and there’s no way others can’t feel the special spirit that those songs about Christ bring into the room. It was so neat. 

Another site we went to was a hill overlooking Bethlehem. Probably the highlight of the day. It’s amazing to me how many incredible people probably crossed that same hill we stood on today (between Jerusalem and Bethlehem). So much history involves that area. Ruth and Naomi, Jacob and Rachel, David as a young shepherd, Lehi and his family (from the Book of Mormon), Mary and Joseph, and of course...Jesus Christ. We read several of the scriptures about these stories, and it was so incredible to be standing there, not having to “imagine” where it was...but being able to actually see it. We also sang a few Christmas hymns, overlooking the town of Bethlehem. I loved it. :)

Another spot I really loved...Haas Promenade. This was a lookout that showed the city of Jerusalem (again) from the south. Bro. Judd explained to us that where we stood would have been Abraham’s first sight (as he came over that last ridge) of the Mt. Moriah, where he was to sacrifice his son. We talked about that story and what an incredible example of trust in the Lord and perfect obedience Abraham emulated. Definitely was a special moment for me. 

We ended the day at Nabi Samwil. This was a really unique and interesting site. This is where traditionally the tomb of the prophet Samuel is. We were able to go in the basement of the mosque and see the covered tomb where he is believed to have been. Men and women went on opposite sides of the tomb (unable to see each other) and it was neat to see women praying and touching the tomb and reading scripture. It’s incredible to see others finding things that we don’t understand, so sacred. It makes them sacred to me, just knowing they are sacred to someone else. And I admire them so much for the respect they show to those things that they hold sacred - it inspires me to do the same. We had a really great devotional from this site as well. We talked about the young King Solomon asking for wisdom and an understanding heart. Bro. Judd applied it to us and asked us “What are you asking for this semester?” For we know if we ask, we will receive (if it is a righteous desire). It was really powerful, and really got me pondering and thinking.

There are so many facts about all of these sites (and others) that we visited. I really want to learn so much more than I currently do. There’s so much still to know, and I’m so excited about it! I say this a lot, but I’m just so grateful to be here; to have this opportunity. I’m loving every minute of it. It’s just going to keep getting better and better. :)

Oh, we also got FHE groups tonight :) And now I have LOTS of studying to do...:/ School’s a bit stressful...but it’s okay, it’s worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment