Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 2...PETRA!!!

Okay guys. For those of you who don't know anything about Petra...you need to realize how big of a deal it is that I was able to go here. This place is INCREDIBLE. It's a city built by the Nabataeans who moved into the area during the 5th century BC. But it isn't just any city. It's carved out of the stone! It seriously blows my mind how genius these people were. And we think WE are advanced? These people (who had zero technology) were able to create a literal world wonder. It was incredible to see. Here are some pictures, since words just can't do it justice (then again...neither can pictures!)


Gorgeous views...

Em and I :)

Dal and I with the monastery behind us. Soo incredible!

Even simple things like stairs...
when they are carved into the rock become amazing.

Camels!!! :) I loved seeing them everywhere.

Hollie and I :)

My horse back ride at the end of the day. It was great, because I was wiped out...
Being in the hot sun and walking miles up mountains is exhausting!

The treasury. Look like Indiana Jones? :) 

Dal and I riding camels together. Nbd. Okay...it was a REALLY big deal. 
I'd been looking forward to this day for years! 
One more thing to cross off my bucket list!


So many neat things carved into the rock...everywhere you look. 
It was so fun to go around exploring all of it.

A really pretty view as we were hiking to the monastery. 

A group of us inside the monastery. 
Also the same spot where Will split open his eye.
 You'll see the results in a following post!

I love this candid shot of Kate and Em. They are gorgeous :) 

I love Petra! So happy to be there. 

There were children like this all over, on the sides of the road, 
trying to sell souvenirs. It made me sad to watch them being swarmed by flies, 
barefoot, hoping for someone to purchase from them. Along these lines though 
(of people selling stuff) it was funny because EVERY merchant we would pass 
(and there were a lot of them!) would say "One dinar (their currency)! 
One dinar! Special price for you! Happy Hour!" 
So it was a joke that it was happy hour, EVERY hour. ;) 

I wanted to get closer to the camels but was a little nervous 
because of stories of camels biting. So I kept a safe distance :)

This picture is kinda a joke. I took TONS of pictures of Dal 
(he humored me) because I thought he looked so great with his hat, in Petra. 
Much better than Harrison Ford. Then I edited them and made this...
he thinks I'm ridiculous, but I love it!


Oh, and we also stopped on our bus ride after Petra to see a Crusader Castle. From a distance...but still!

No comments:

Post a Comment