Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Synagogue and Service Project!

Last Friday some of us were able to go to a local Jewish synagogue with our Israel teach, Ophir and two of his adorable children. It was really neat to learn from him about what takes place there, and how the services work (since we as LDS members are not familiar with it). The entire thing was obviously in Hebrew, so I didn't understand a word of it, but most of the service was singing, and it was neat because I could feel the spirit. I could feel the devotion of the congregation as they sang and recited the prayers in their prayer books, and it was touching to me. It made me want to live my religion more fully. I also noticed a lot of similarities between a Jewish service and an LDS service which was neat, and helped me gain even greater respect for those of another faith...but I also noticed several differences (obviously) and those differences strengthened my testimony of, and appreciation for, my membership in the LDS and the knowledge I have of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Some of the people I went to synagogue with!
(I'm not in the picture, because I'm the one taking it). 

This past Sunday, during our free day, some of us went and painted the inside of a homeless shelter for teenagers in the city. It was really fun! It was neat to hear from the manager and the social worker there about what their goals and intentions are with the shelter. They provide a temporary "home" environment for teenagers who are homeless, or abused, or just need somewhere safe to go. Hearing them talk about the youth there, and what the purpose of the shelter is, reinforced my desire to be a social worker. It got me really excited to do MY part to help make the world a little bit better. There are so many people in need in the world, but even one or two people can make a difference...I truly believe that. It was neat to be doing something worthwhile, but it was also just a nice change to be doing something DIFFERENT, from our normal every day routines here at the center. We do Humanitarian Projects here pretty regularly, but this was the first time we had done something like this. It was really great! We got some music going, sometimes painted each other more than the walls, but at the same time worked really efficiently and did a really good job - the management was so appreciative! It was really neat, when the manager came upstairs to see our finished product, he kept saying how amazing it was and then was trying to explain that he had goosebumps (but he didn't know the English word - so I helped him). It was touching to see that something so simple and easy for us to do, made such a difference for this place. Even if it just gives the rooms a cleaner, warmer feel...that's meaningful for these teenagers.

Me working hard :) I'm basically pro.

Had to get a picture with Will and his battle wound from Petra :)

Erin - one of my favorite girls in the world :) 

"Painting never looked so good...Man Kassie is adorable"
*Picture Commentary by Me, Dallin*

No comments:

Post a Comment